Georgia Downs South Carolina St., 4-0
May 9, 2009
ATHENS-----The second-ranked Georgia women's tennis team shut out South Carolina State 4-0 here Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Championships.
The Bulldogs (24-2) captured the doubles point and then got singles wins from sophomore Cameron Ellis and freshmen Chelsey Gullickson and Nadja Gilchrist in the shutout. Gullickson owns a 35-9 record and is now tied with Naoko Ueshima with a team-high seven match-clinching wins including the last three. Georgia is 20-0 this season when winning the doubles point.
In doubles, the No. 3 team of Ellis and Ueshima recorded an 8-0 win over Iveta Blodniece and Amy Chen to set the tone. They are 26-12 this year. Then, Monika Dancevic and Yvette Hyndman clinched the point at No. 2 with an 8-1 win over Fanni Fricska and Tatiana Varela. Gullickson and Gilchrist had a 7-1 lead in the No. 1 contest when play was suspended with the team point determined.
"We wanted to get on a roll and take care of business at home, and this was a good start," said Georgia coach Jeff Wallace. "I thought we concentrated well, it was their first match after finals and now they can focus on tennis. We only lost 10 total games today so that's good. Now, we have to get ready for a tough Boise State team that got a big win over Alabama."
Ellis made it 2-0 with a 6-0,6-0 win over Varela at No. 6. She is 30-4 overall including 15-2 at No. 6 this year. Then, Gilchrist defeated Aniko Kiss 6-0,6-2 for a 3-0 edge. Gilchrist, ranked 56th nationally, has won 11 straight and improved her record to 33-8. Gullickson, ranked ninth nationally, wrapped up the match with a 6-0,6-1 victory over Fricska in the No. 1 contest.
Up next, the Bulldogs will face #35 Boise State Sunday at 2 p.m. The Bronco upset #24 Alabama 4-3 earlier in the day. South Carolina State ends the season with a 14-6 record.
NCAA Women's Tennis 1st Round:
Dan Magill Tennis Complex, Athens, Ga.
#2 Georgia defeats S.C. State 4-0
1. #6 Chelsey Gullickson/Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) vs. Daria Sekerina/Aniko Kiss (SCSU) 7-1 susp.
2. Monika Dancevic/Yvette Hyndman (UGA) def. Fanni Fricska/Tatiana Varela (SCSU) 8-1
3. Cameron Ellis/Naoko Ueshima (UGA) def. Iveta Blodniece/Amy Chen (SCSU 8-0
1. #9 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Fanni Fricska (SCSU) 6-0,6-1
2. #55 Yvette Hyndman vs. Daria Sekerina (SCSU) 6-2, 1-0, susp.
3. #56 Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Aniko Kiss (SCSU) 6-0,6-2
4. #93 Monika Dancevic (UGA) vs. Amy Chen (SCSU) 6-2,4-0, susp.
5. Naoko Ueshima (UGA) vs. Iveta Blodniece (SCSU) 6-0,4-1, susp.
6. Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Tatiana Varela (SCSU) 6-0,6-0
Order of Finish: Doubles: (3,2); Singles (6,3,1)