USC Takes Down Fairfield In NCAA First Round Match
May 9, 2009
Courtesy of USC
USC, a No. 7 seed making its 18th consecutive NCAA appearance, defeated Fairfield, 4-0, in an NCAA Championships Women's Tennis first-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Saturday (May 9).
The Trojans, riding the momentum of their first Pac-10 title in school history, improved to 21-2 and extended their winning streak to 13 matches. The Stags, the MAAC champions making their second NCAA appearance, finished the season at 16-5, falling to USC in the schools' first meeting.
USC's Sarah Fansler and Lyndsay Kinstler, playing at No. 1 doubles, quickly dispatched of Paulina Rys and Kristen Lui, 8-0, for the first doubles win. Shortly after, Troy's No. 2 doubles tandem of Alison Ramos and Maria Sanchez took care of Dana Postupack and Marisa Voloshin, 8-1, to clinch the doubles point.
The Trojans made quick work of the Stags in the singles competition, the decisive three matches all ending within less than minute of each other.
First, Fansler finished off Lui at No. 3 singles, 6-0, 6-0, and Fink followed seconds later by downing Rys, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 2.
Ramos, already in the middle of her match point when the previous two ended, clinched the USC victory with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Alyssa Ruiz.
USC will play Washington in an NCAA second round at Marks Tennis Stadium at 12 p.m. on Sunday (May 10). The Women of Troy downed the Huskies earlier this season in Seattle, 4-3, in one of the closest matches USC played all season.
(1) Sarah Fansler-Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) def. Paulina Rys-Kristen Lui (F), 8-0
(2) Alison Ramos-Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Dana Postupack-Marisa Voloshin (F), 8-1
(3) Cristala Andrews-Amanda Fink (USC) vs. Gretchen Amberg-Michaela Cerrone (F), 6-1
Order of Finish: 1,2
(1) Maria Sanchez (USC) vs. Dana Postupack (F), 6-1, 5-1 susp.
(2) Amanda Fink (USC) vs. Paulina Rys (F), 6-1, 6-0
(3) Sarah Fansler (USC) vs. Kristen Lui (F), 6-0, 6-0
(4) Alison Ramos (USC) vs. Alyssa Ruiz (F), 6-0, 6-0
(5) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) vs. Michaela Cerrone (F), 6-0, 4-1 susp.
(6) Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) vs. Gretchen Amberg (F), 6-1, 2-2 susp.
Order of Finish: 3,2,4