Northeastern State Rolls Into Round Of 16 With 5-1 Win Over Cameron
May 7, 2010
Courtesy of Northeastern State
TAHLEQUAH, Okla. --- Northeastern State advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2010 NCAA Division II Women's Tennis Championships on Friday with a 5-1 victory over Cameron.
The RiverHawks, 15-4 overall and ranked No. 16 nationally, will meet the Southeast Region #1 survivor when play gets underway Wednesday, May 12, in Altamonte Springs Fla., Match times have yet to be determined.
After winning two points with doubles victories at Nos. 1 and 2, Northeastern State collected a 6-2, 6-2 win from Karolina Cichon at No. 6 singles for a 3-1 edge. Michaela Romanova cruised to a 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles and the RiverHawks needed to capture just one more match for the victory.
Zuzanna Osinska, at No. 1 singles, won her first set over Amanda Moberg, 6-4. After going down a break in the first game of the second set, Osinska broke back, then rolled to a 6-2 decision in the game-winner to vault Northeastern State into the Round of 16 for the first time in three years.
Cameron, 14-9, was up a set at No. 4 and No. 5 singles and was down a set after a 7-6 (7-5) tie-breaker at No. 2 when play was halted.
Tennis Match Results
Cameron University vs Northeastern St (OK)
May 07, 2010 at Tahlequah, Oklahoma
#2 Northeastern St (OK) 5, #6 Cameron University 1
1. Zuzanna Osinska (NSU) def. Amanda Moberg (CAMERON) 6-4, 6-2
2. Emina Spirtovic (NSU) vs. Julia Puckhaber (CAMERON) 7-6 (7-5), 1-2, unfinished
3. Michaela Romanova (NSU) def. Carolina Mullor (CAMERON) 6-0, 6-3
4. Ivana Belejova (NSU) vs. Sara Flores (CAMERON) 3-6, 3-5, unfinished
5. Claire Chanay (NSU) vs. Elle Sholles (CAMERON) 3-6, 6-5, unfinished
6. Karolina Cichon (NSU) def. Heather Doslich (CAMERON) 6-2, 6-2
1. Zuzanna Osinska/Emina Spirtovic (NSU) def. Amanda Moberg/Julia Puckhaber (CAMERON) 8-4
2. Ivana Belejova/Claire Chanay (NSU) def. Sara Flores/Daniela Stevenson (CAMERON) 8-1
3. Carolina Mullor/Elle Sholles (CAMERON) def. Michaela Romanova/Karolina Cichon (NSU) 8-4
Northeastern St (OK) 15-4; National ranking #16; Regional ranking #2
Northeastern State advances to Round of 16 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
Will play winner of Southeast Region #1.
Doubles order of finish: 2-3-1, Singles order of finish: 6-3-1.
Official: Mike Standrod