Grand Valley State Handles Drury, 5-1, For First-Ever Berth In National Tourney
May 9, 2010
Courtesy of GVSU
Springfield, Mo. - The #31 Grand Valley State women's tennis team advanced to the sweet sixteen in the 2010 NCAA Division II Women's TennisTournament for the first time in school history with a 5-1 victory over #18 Drury on Saturday, May 8 at the Copper Tennis Complex in Springfield, Missouri. GVSU (22-8) will face California (Pa.) (23-5) on Wednesday, May 12 in Orlando Florida in the round of 16.
GVSU dominated and jumped out to an early 3-0 lead after doubles action. Darylann Trout and Chelsea Johnston won 8-5 in the No. 1 doubles, while Katelyn Schaffer and Tara Hayes claimed an 8-6 win at No. 2. In the No. 3 doubles, Jackie Shipman and Allison Fecko came out on top with an 8-6 decision.
"I am extremely proud of how are kids competed and were able to win an NCAA Tournament match on the road to advance to the National Championships," said head coach John Black. "It is an exciting time for our girls because we have been so close before, but this time they were able to get over the hump by playing great tennis."
The Lakers secured the match with wins at the No. 2 and No. 5 singles with Schaffer winning 6-1, 6-4 at No.2 and Fecko defeating Anna Lustig 6-0, 7-5 at the No. 5 singles. The results of matches involving No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6 singles went unfinished.
Below are match-by-match results:
1. #45 Katia Bon (DU) def. Tara Hayes (GV) 6-2, 6-0
2. Katelyn Schaffer (GV) def. Khrystsina Tryboi (DU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Pelagie Gamo (DU) vs. Chelsea Johnston (GV) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
4. Abbey Sharpe (DU) vs. Darylann Trout (GV) 4-6, 3-4, unfinished
5. Allison Fecko (GV) def. Anna Lustig (DU) 6-0, 7-5
6. Jackie Shipman (GV) vs. Valentine Lambrechts (DU) no result
1. Darylann Trout/Chelsea Johnston (GV) def. Katia Bon/Khrystsina Tryboi (DU) 8-5
2. Katelyn Schaffer/Tara Hayes (GV) def. Pelagie Gamo/Abbey Sharpe (DU) 8-6
3. Jackie Shipman/Allison Fecko (GV) def. Anna Lustig/Valentine Lambrechts (DU) 8-6