Bowdoin Pushes Past Castleton State, 5-0
May 14, 2010
Courtesy of Bowdoin Sports Information
AMHERST, Mass. -
AMHERST, Mass. -The Bowdoin College women's tennis team cruised to a 5-0 win over Castleton State in to open NCAA Tournament play on Friday afternoon at Amherst College. The Polar Bears advance to the Second Round where they will face rival Middlebury College at 1:00 p.m. Saturday.
In doubles play, the 13th-ranked Polar Bears dispatched of the Spartans on all three courts to take a comfortable lead into singles play. At both number one and three, Bowdoin won 8-1, while earning an 8-0 win at number two to complete the sweep.
In singles action, Bowdoin increased its lead to 4-0 with a win from Hannah Hoerner at number six. Hoerner easily topped Castleton's Kristen McGinn 6-0, 6-0. The match was clinched by Chantalle Lavertu with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at number four over Brittni Racine. With the match decided, play was halted in the remaining four singles matches. On each of those four courts, Bowdoin had a set in hand and a commanding lead in the second set.
Bowdoin 5, Castleton 0
1) Alberstone/Lombardi (B) def. Podnecky/Bucci (C) 8-1
2) Davis/Hoerner (B) def. McGinn/Paraschos (C) 8-0
3) Kuna/Lavertu (B) def. Racine/Crehan (C) 8-1
1) Kellen Alberston (B) leading Michelle Podnecky (C) 6-0, 2-0, unfinished
2) Emily Lombardi (B)leading Kate Bucci (C) 6-1, 5-0, unfinished
3) Brett Davis (B) leading Brynn Paraschos (C)6-0, 5-0, unfinished
4) Chantalle Lavertu (B) def. Brittni Racine (C)6-0, 6-0
5) Liz Pedowitz (B) leading Chelsea Crehan (C) 6-0, 4-0, unfinished
6) Hannah Hoerner (B) def. Kristen McGinn (C)6-0, 6-0