Drew Cruises Past Western Connecticut State
May 14, 2010
* Courtesy of Western Connecticut State Athletics
FREDERICKSBURG, VA - (May 14)-- Alyssa Hoynack (Old Lyme, CT) and Brittany Hoynack (Old Lyme, CT) went through a marathon match at number two doubles, but fell to Sarit Ashkenazi and Hayley Downing and the Drew University. The Rangers women's tennis team cruised from there to a 5-0 victory over Western Connecticut State University in the first round of the NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championships at Mary Washington University on Friday afternoon.
The Colonials, which captured the Little East Conference Tournament title back on October 29, end a very successful campaign with a 13-3 record.
Sophia-ye Chen and Cristine Conde put the Rangers up, 1-0 when they defeated Kelly Macey (New Fairfield, CT) and Deborah Ferreira (Danbury, CT), 8-2 at number three doubles.
Shortly afterward, Lauren Post (Danbury, CT) and Jenna Kosiba (Bristol, CT) dropped an 8-3 decision to Drew's Michelle Gbelama and Vivian Peng.
The Hoynacks, undefeated during the regular season and LEC Tournament at second pairs, nearly pulled the Colonials within a 2-1 deficit, but Drew took a commanding 3-0 advantage into the singles play.
Peng defeated Post, 6-1, 6-0 at top solos while Michelle Gbelama overtook Brittany Hoynack, at second singles, 6-0, 6-1 and the first-to-five affair was finalized.
Only Alison Mahony (Bristol, CT) led in her singles match when the winner was declared. She led Downing, 6-5 in the first set
Drew improves to 13-3 and will face Carnegie-Mellon University in the second round on Saturday. Mary Washington, which defeated Hunter, 5-0 in the early match on Friday, will face The College of New Jersey in the Saturday's other Regional semifinal.
Drew University 5, Western Connecticut 0
1. Vivian Peng (Drew) def. Lauran Post (WC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Michelle Gbelama (Drew) def. Brittany Hoynack (WC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Alyssa Hoynack (WC) vs. Sarit Ashkenazi (Drew) 0-6, 0-3, unfinished
4. Alison Mahony (WC) vs. Hayley Downing (Drew) 6-5, unfinished
5. Jenna Kosiba (WC) vs. Sophia-ye Chen (Drew) 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
6. Brittany DiMauro (WC) vs. Cristine Conde (Drew) 4-5, unfinished
1. Michelle Gbelama/Vivian Peng (Drew) def. Jenna Kosiba/Lauran Post (WC) 8-3
2. Sarit Ashkenazi/Hayley Downing (Drew) def. Brittany Hoynack/Alyssa Hoynack (WC) 8-6
3. Sophia-ye Chen/Cristine Conde (Drew) def. Kelly Macey/Deborah Ferreira (WC) 8-2
Western Connecticut 13-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles ()