Williams Eases Past Wheaton (Mass.), 5-0
May 15, 2010
Courtesy of Williams Athletics
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Williams women’s tennis (19-3), host of this weekend’s three-round regional sectional of the 2010 NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Tournament, began their quest for a third consecutive national title with a 5-0 sweep of Wheaton College (17-3).
“It was a great start to the tournament,” said Williams head coach Alison Swain. “It feels good to have a match under out belts.”
Wheaton advanced to second-round action with a 5-2 defeat of Ithaca in a first-round contest yesterday. Williams, who received a first-round bye as the second-seeded team in the tournament, put the Lyons in an early 3-0 hole and Wheaton could not push past a very talented and tournament-tested Ephs singles ladder.
Williams’ two and three pairs defeated their Wheaton counterparts in identical 8-3 showings. Grace Baljon and Taylor French were challenged at court one by the Lyons’ Sarah Geocaris and Catherine Teague. The match was sent to a tiebreak where Williams narrowly defeated Wheaton, 9-8 (8-6).
The final doubles victory gave all the momentum to the Ephs, and Williams took care of business quickly in singles. Caroline Capute tallied the fourth point at court six with a dominant straight set win over Rosalyn Chesky, 6-0, 6-0. Lucy Marchese followed just fifteen minutes later with a victory at court four to send the Ephs into the third-round with a 6-2, 6-0 result.
“It’s wonderful to be hosting at home,” commented Swain. “It is an exciting tournament to have on campus, and I think we have been providing the other teams with a great experience as well which is important when you host.”
Williams will take on the winner of the Tufts/Skidmore match tomorrow at 12:00 a.m.
“We know whether we play Skidmore or Tufts that they are tested and experienced teams,” said Swain. “It will be a tough match but I feel like our team has great momentum heading into the match and are looking forward to being pushed.”
Williams 5, Wheaton 0
1) Grace Baljon/Taylor French (W) def. Sarah Geocaris/Catherine Teague (WHE) --- 9-8 (8-6)
2) Kristin Alotta/Nikki Reich (W) def. Allesandra DiOrio/Katherine Knies (WHE) --- 8-3
3) Lucy Marchese/Caroline Capute (W) def. Ellen Van Faasen/Rosalyn Chesky (WHE) --- 8-3
1) Baljon (W) vs. Geocaris (WHE)???--- DNF W 6-5
2) Alotta (W) vs. Teague (WHE) --- DNF W 6-4, 1-0
3) Reich (W) vs. Van Faasen (WHE)??? ---- DNF W 6-2, 4-1
4) Marchese (W) def. DiOrio (WHE)???--- 6-2, 6-0
5) Nancy Worley (W) vs. Knies (WHE)???--- DNF W 6-1, 3-0
6) Capute (W) def. Chesky (WHE) --- 6-0, 6-0