With updated statistics coming out Friday, below are the national leaders in several categories:
• Aces per set - Samantha Bricio, USC (0.76)
• Assists per set - Caitlin Dotson, Lipscomb (12.67)
• Blocker per set - Erin Kirby, Wyoming (1.81)
• Digs per set - Ellen Mullins, Tennessee (6.09)
• Hitting percentage - Chloe Mann, Florida (0.54)
• Kills per set and points per set - Vendula Strakova, Hampton (5.72/6.63)
Morehead State Leads Ohio Valley Conference
Morehead State has a 28-match Ohio Valley Conference regular-season match winning streak and the Eagles are 58-2 (.966) in the OVC since 2010. Leslie Schellhaas currently has 1,958 career digs and has moved to third place on the MSU career chart. Schellhaas ranks sixth in the nation among active Division I players for career digs.
USC Still No. 1
Top-ranked USC (16-1, 6-0 Pac-12) takes a 10-match winning streak into the desert as the Women of Troy prepare to face tests against No. 22 Arizona State (13-5, 2-4) and Arizona (13-5, 3-3) this weekend. The Trojans are looking for a repeat of last weekend’s road success in the Beaver State where they earned a pair of 3-0 victories, but it won’t be easy. Since 2008, USC has found itself on the short end of a desert upset every year but 2011 when the Trojans won the Pac-12 title. The Wildcats upended USC in Tucson in 2008 and 2009, and the Sun Devils pulled out shockers in 2010 and 2012 at Wells Fargo Arena. USC is 85-7 in all-time matches as the No. 1-ranked team and has faced both Arizona and Arizona State six times each with a 12-0 mark as the top-ranked team in the country.
Job Well Done
• LMU volleyball senior Betsi Metter notched a pair of aces to run her career total to 159 and set a new LMU program record, passing Heather Hughes (158 from 2004-07) for the top-spot. Metter recorded her first ace of the match in the first set before eventually setting the record in the fourth. As she has done in every match this year, Metter, who is LMU's all-time digs leader, claimed at least a share of the match-high in digs, notching a match-high tying 15.
• Campbell libero Mary Crema registered a 40-dig performance in a 3-2 loss to Radford on Saturday afternoon. The digs total was the second-most in school history and the first time 40 digs were hit by a Big South school since 2008.
• Alabama State’s eight-game winning streak is the longest winning streak since head coach Penny Lucas-White took the helm in 2010.
• San Diego State’s Justin Ricigliano, making her first start at the libero position, recorded a career-high 24 digs in the four-set win at Air Force on Oct. 12. Her previous personal best of 13 digs was set earlier this season in a five-set match at Louisiana State. Ricigliano also turned in a career-high four assists in the win at Air Force.
Here’s the line-up for this weekend’s TV games:
• Oct. 18, 8:30 p.m.-Duke vs. Georgia Tech (ESPN3)
• Oct. 18, 9 p.m.- Penn State vs. Illinois (Big Ten Network)
• Oct. 18, 7 p.m.-NC State vs. Virginia Tech (ESPN3)
• Oct. 18, 8:30 p.m.-LSU vs. Auburn (FS Southwest)
• Oct. 19, 6 p.m.-North Carolina vs. Virginia Tech (ESPN3)
• Oct. 19, 6:30 p.m.-Iowa State vs. Texas (FSN)
• Oct. 20, 1 p.m.-Florida State vs. Notre Dame (ESPN3)
• Oct. 20, 2 p.m.-Syracuse vs. Pittsburgh (ESPN3)
• Oct. 20, 3 p.m.-Michigan State vs. Wisconsin (Big Ten Network)
• Oct. 20, 3 p.m.-Texas A&M at Auburn (FS Southwest)
• Oct. 20, 2:30 p.m.-Georgia vs. Arkansas (CSS/CST)