May 9, 2009

Courtesy of Marist Athletics

COLLEGE PARK, MD. - The Marist water polo team led 4-2 early in its consolation semifinal game against Michigan Saturday at the NCAA Women's Water Polo Tournament, but the Wolverines scored three straight goals to take the lead and hang on for a 9-7 win at the Eppley Recreation Center. Katelin McCahill (East Grand Rapids, Mich.) and Rachel Sunday (Carlisle, Pa.) each scored a pair of goals for the Red Foxes. McCahill's two goals give her 70 on the season, a new Marist single-season record.

Marist (18-15) got out to a fast start as Sunday scored both of her goals in the first 1:32 of the game, putting the Red Foxes ahead 2-0. Michigan came back and tied the game at 2-2 with 4:19 left in the first quarter on goals by Leah Robertson and Mary Chatigny. The Red Foxes then went on another two-goal run. Samantha Swartz (Harleysville, Pa.) put an Angie Rampton (Simi Valley, Calif.) pass in the back of the net with 3:46 left in the quarter. McCahill then scored her first goal 33 seconds later, making the score 4-2. The Wolverines would tie the game at 4-4 by the end of the first, scoring two goals in the last 1:30.

Both defenses stepped up in the second quarter, as both Jessica Getchius (Simi Valley, Calif.) for Marist and Brittany May of Michigan made a couple of big saves early in the period to keep the game knotted at 4-4. Getchius would end the game with a game-high 11 saves. Michigan took its first lead of the game with 4:10 left in the half as Robertson found the back of the net for the third time, making the score 5-4. Rampton tied the game at 5-5 with a goal at the 2:17 mark. The score would hold true to halftime.

Michigan (34-9) took back the lead to start the third quarter as Robertson scored her fourth goal of the game with 4:59 remaining to make the score 6-5. The Wolverines then took its biggest lead of the game to that point with a Julie Hyrne goal with 32 seconds left in the third. Rosie Pauli (Sacramento, Calif.) got the Red Foxes back to within a goal as she scored with one second left in the third quarter, making the score 7-6. Marist's defense kept it in the game early in the fourth quarter, but a Sharayah Hernandez goal with 5:35 remaining put the Wolverines back up by two, 8-6. Hyrne added her second tally with 3:58 left in the game, putting Michigan ahead by three and putting the game just out of reach for Marist.

The Red Foxes will close the 2009 season Sunday at 1:30 p.m. in the seventh-place game against either Cal Lutheran or Loyola Marymount.